ALL THE LATEST NEWS ON AMATEUR GOLF IN AYRSHIRE

Sunday, March 03, 2024

PAUL MOULTRIE FUNDRAISING FOR PROSTATE CANCER UK - Ayrshire golfer training for London marathon

Well known Ayrshire golfer Paul Moultrie is in training to run the London Marathon this year, and for his efforts hopes to raise thousands of pounds for Prostate Cancer UK.

In 2022 Scottish Seniors Golfing Society society members donated nearly £1500 to the charity through two online Pilates classes gifted by Paul, founder of Troon-based Mind Body Golf consultancy. Around 50,000 men in the UK are annually diagnosed with prostate cancer. One in six men during their lifetime will contract the disease.

This April’s London Marathon will be especially poignant for Paul because last year he was diagnosed with the condition himself and he is currently undergoing treatment.
The Royal Troon golfer and senior men’s Scottish internationalist said: ‘As somebody who works hard to stay fit and healthy, it came as a shock when I was told I had prostate cancer. However, once I got over that initial jolt, I quickly realised this was just another challenge that I and thousands of men like me have to face up to, and I am determined to beat it. When I asked Prostate Cancer UK for their blessing to raise funds for the charity by running the London Marathon, I had to laugh when they told me I had all the necessary credentials, including having the disease myself! Fortunately my cancer has been caught early so my prospects of full recovery are good, but I think it’s important to raise as much awareness as possible about prostate cancer because too many men leave it too late before being medically checked.’
Paul, 59, who plays off a handicap of plus 2, is a former Ayrshire Champion of Champions title holder and has regularly finished near the top of the Scottish Seniors Order of Merit table since he joined the Scottish Seniors Golfing Society in 2015. As a senior, he has equalled the course record at three different courses.
Paul, who is seeking sponsors for his marathon attempt, said: ‘It would be great to have the support of local Ayrshire golfers and scottish Senior Golfing Society members whose friendship and camaraderie I have greatly enjoyed over the past few years. Prostate cancer is becoming increasingly common, especially among men in the age group that spans the society. I would be hugely grateful for any support in raising much-needed funds to help in the fight against prostate cancer.’
You can sponsor Paul by donating through his JustGiving page, via the link below

No comments: