Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SCOTTISH AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP - Four Ayrshire players from 14 exit on day 1

The 2010 Scottish Amateur Championship got under way at Gullane No 1 on Monday and it proved to be a fairly good day for the Ayrshire players involved with only four of the fourteen starters losing their first round ties.

Boys Internationalist Jack McDonald (Kilmarnock Barassie) as out in game no 2 but was defeated 5&4 by Alan Welsh (Torrance House).

The early starts did not bode well for the Ayrshire contingent with David Strachan (Turnberry) losing by 2&1 to Allyn Dick (Kingsknowe) and Ewan McKinnon (Corrie) going out by two holes against Seven Robertson (Sandyhills).

The first Ayrshire player into round two was Michael Smyth (Royal Troon) who had a comfortable 6&5 win over Scott Crichton (Aberdour) to set up a second round match against Brian Erskine (Merchants Of Edinburgh)

Smyth was soon joined in round 2 by Keith Hamilton (Ayr Belleisle) who beat james Johnston (Greenburn) by 2&1 and now faces Sean McGarvey (Glencorse) in the next round.

Paul Moultrie (Royal Troon) had the most comfortable win of the Ayrshire players in action on Monday, beating Robby Anderson (Duddingston) by 8&7. Moultrie now meets Steven Rennie (Drumpellier) in the second round.

Former Ayrshire Strokeplay champion John Shanks (Irvine) beat Stephen Harrod (Ballumbie Castle) by 4&2 to secure a second round tie against Paul Gault (Westerwood)

Malcolm Pennycott (Whiting Bay) beat Sam Strachan (Murcar Links) by one hole to set up an all Ayrshire second round clash with Steven McEwan (Caprington), following McEwan's 5&3 win over Stephen Carruthers (Pitlochry).

George Robertson (Irvine Ravenspark) had an early exit, losing by 6&4 to Jordan Findlay (Fraserburgh).

Euan Brown (Kilmarnock Barassie), a quarter finalist last year at Troon, had a marathon match against Angus Weir (Crieff) before winning at the 21st hole. Brown now plays Myles Cunningham (Craigielaw) in round 2.

The three remaining Ayrshire players in first round action on Monday all won through to round 2.

Scott Brown (Turnberry) beat Colin Mundie (Falkirk) by 3&2 and now plays fellow Ayrshire player Marc Smith (Troon Welbeck) in round 2 after Smith beat Andrew Wallace (Glenbervie) by 4&3.

Cameron Gray (West Kilbride) had a 5&4 win over Fraser campbell (Milngavie) to set up a second round clash with Nicky Gold (Bonnyton).

The four remaining Ayrshire players in the starting line up, Chris Harkins (Ayr Belleisle), Jamie Mackay (Kilmarnock Barassie), Michael Stewart (Troon Welbeck) and Colin Robinson (Largs), begin their bid for the title amongs the remaining first round ties sheduled to be played on Tuesday.

No comments: