ALL THE LATEST NEWS ON AMATEUR GOLF IN AYRSHIRE

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MICHAEL STEWART TO TURN PROFESSIONAL IN DECEMBER

Ayrshire's most succesful amateur golfer in recent years, Michael Stewart (Troon Welbeck), will turn professional in December, writes Jock McVicar

In the Scottish daily Express, the esteemed golf writer reports :-

Michael Stewart is turning professional, despite failing in the first stage of the European Q School last week.

Stewart 21, is taking advantage of an exemption into the South African Open in December, and will make his move into the pro ranks immediately afterwards.

The young man from Troon is set to sign up with Chubby Chandler's ISM group, who look after the affairs of US Open champion Rory McIlroy and Open champion Darren Clarke.

Stewart said: "I made up my mind just before the Q School that I was going to turn professional.

Mentally, I was a wee bit tired after the Walker Cup at Royal Aberdeen, but, in a way, not getting through,woke me up. I am joining a great group of players and the other great thing is that with ISM I will be able to focus completely on my golf.

"I don't think the step up is that different, but I know I am going to have to play well.

"I believe I am good enough. It's just a case of sorting things out mentally."

No comments: