ALL THE LATEST NEWS ON AMATEUR GOLF IN AYRSHIRE

Thursday, February 12, 2009

AYR DALMILLING CLOSURE - a lady golfers perspective

Gillian Henderson, Vice Captain of Dalmilling Ladies has forwarded a comment on the closure decision in regard to Ayr Dalmilling :-

"I have been playing golf in Ayr since my early teens and I am going to be forty this year. As a young girl back in the day, there weren't many clubs welcoming juniors with open arms. Dalmilling was different then and it still prides itself on being a club for everyman, woman and child regardless of age, ability or status.

I started my golf at Dalmilling and the ladies there welcomed me with open arms. They took me under their wing and helped me with my game, with the etiquette and with the rules. They were also friendly and fun to play with. Many of these ladies are still members today and I will never forget the kindness (not to mention patience) they showed me when I first took up the beautiful game.

Dalmilling is still actively involved in the development of junior golf. Five years ago we sent volunteers on coaching courses to roll-out the clubgolf programme. This is really beginning to bear fruit with many of the youngsters, from a socially deprived area, getting access to a healthy, outdoor sport that they otherwise would never have had access to.

What are we to say to these children, and their parents, so badly let down by the council? ...."Go on wander the streets"?

Certainly food for thought. Another aspect which was worthy of note, and hopefully was fully considered, before the closure decision was made ?.

No comments: